In the day-to-day work of a welder, clamps are common place, essential tools and used constantly. While Safety Mark is out on a course, Jeff stepped in to give the staff a Safety Talk today. We thought it best to go over some safety tips surrounding clamps to avoid any possible incident with them.
5 Tips to Safety When Using Clamps
- Instead of using an oversized clamp for a job that may need a deeper reach, use a deep-throat clamp.
- Never use a clamp with a bend frame or spindle.
- Clamps are to be hand torqued. Never use pipes, hammers or pliers to tighten down. Only use a wrench or clamps specifically designed to be wrench tightened.
- There are clamps just for lifting. Never substitute these for a regular duty C-clamp.
- C-clamps are never to be used to construct scaffold or platforms for workers.