We hope everyone had a safe and happy Canada Day long weekend! Mark started off the week with a great discussion on operator safety in regards to equipment inspections.
As an operator, you must:
- Inspect equipment before operating the vehicle. If equipment is used by more than one operator during a day ensure that the inspection are completed.
- Operate equipment in accordance with the training received.
- Do not operate if safety devices have been altered and been rendered ineffective.
- Do not leave equipment such a forklift unattended unless you stop the engine, set the brakes, park on a level surface and lower the lifting mechanism to the floor.
- Do not carry persons in mobile equipment unless the vehicle is designed to carry passengers.
- Be mindful of pedestrians, other industrial lift trucks, vehicles, materials, etc.
- remain at the controls at all times,
- if operating an industrial lift truck with a forklift platform with an employee on the platform.
- Keep all parts of your body inside the industrial lift truck when travelling; travel with the forks as low to the floor as possible; decrease speed around corners and sound the horn; and, travel in reverse when a load obstructs your vision.